Soviet.ie | Sóivéid.ie
Sign in to follow this  
Frithbheart32

University intellectuals to debate War of Independence titled 'glorious four years of conflict' or 'squalid sectarian conflict'

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/101176

I wouldnt deem any war glorious, but to label a conflict so important that was driven by deep devotion to conflicting ideologies simply 'squalid and sectarian' to be highly offensive

Makes one ponder, what would Trinity and UCD lecturers of the revisionist tendency know about revolutionary republicanism

Still be curious hear whats said

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/101176

I wouldnt deem any war glorious, but to label a conflict so important that was driven by deep devotion to conflicting ideologies simply 'squalid and sectarian' to be highly offensive

Makes one ponder, what would Trinity and UCD lecturers of the revisionist tendency know about revolutionary republicanism

Still be curious hear whats said

These academic talking heads wringing their hands over Irish resistance was all the rage for the last 40 years, but now it seems passé and irrelevant. Still, as you say, it's good to keep an eye on what the enemy are doing. Are you going to go to it, a chara? If you do, maybe you could write a report for the forum?

Guest Felix Rourke

táimse ag brath ar dul \ I'm intending on going

If I make it, which I should, I'll write up a short piece.

I'm only wading my way through Conor Kostick's book on the period, but he is making a clear case that the conflict was as much a class conflict as anything, and that any victories against the political and economic establishment was won by workers, either by taking over their places of work, and by their refusal to co-operate with the British authorities, much more so than it was by any military action by the IRA.

To suggest that it was a sectarian conflict is ridiculous, it was the outcome of the war and partition which really injected the sectarian energy into the situation.

Guest Felix Rourke

This thing was packed tonight! turned up at ten to 7 and was told it was full. There were about 50 people standing outside as well.

I should've turned up at 6:30. Revisionist pricks!

there's pod-casts going up of the series anway I think