Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ernie O'Guevara

Historians of Ireland

10 posts in this topic

Comrades,

Any good historians on Irish history you'd recommend, particularly around the War Against the Free State, James Connolly, Irish history post Treaty etc.

The best book I've read on the free state is Conor McCabe's Sins of the Fathers.  As for the war against the the free state, I haven't seen anything worthwhile by a professional historian, you are probably best to stick to books by IRA Volunteers like Ernie O'Malley and Peadar O'Donnell.  O'Donnell's The Gates Flew Open is regarded as a classic, but it's out of print - a sad sign of the collapse of Irish intellectual life.

Go raibh maith agat, a chara. I have similar difficulties with international history regarding Joseph Stalin, but thankfully our friends overseas on the internet have pointed me in the right direction. Highly recommend "The Battle for China's PAst" by Mobo Gao for the truth on Mao's Cultural Revolution.

Fodla32 likes this

Anyone know where I can read Ruairi O'Bradaigh's Dilseacht. I am beginning research for a short book on a Marxist internationalist perspective on 20th century Irish history, I think O'Bradaigh's book would be an invaluable source.

grahamhira and Fodla32 like this

Anyone know where I can read Ruairi O'Bradaigh's Dilseacht. I am beginning research for a short book on a Marxist internationalist perspective on 20th century Irish history, I think O'Bradaigh's book would be an invaluable source.

I bought it in RSF's bookshop in Parnell street.  I'm sure they still have it on sale. You can ring them and they'd post it to you.

grahamhira likes this

The best book I've read on the free state is Conor McCabe's Sins of the Fathers.  As for the war against the the free state, I haven't seen anything worthwhile by a professional historian, you are probably best to stick to books by IRA Volunteers like Ernie O'Malley and Peadar O'Donnell.  O'Donnell's The Gates Flew Open is regarded as a classic, but it's out of print - a sad sign of the collapse of Irish intellectual life.

It's reprinted now comrade,I bought a copy in Eason's last year.

Fodla32 likes this