Soviet.ie | Sóivéid.ie
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scáthach

Thousands of foetuses incinerated to heat UK hospitals

Guest Scáthach

The bodies of more than 15,000 unborn foetuses have been incinerated in the UK, an investigation has found, with some treated as “clinical waste” and others burned to heat hospitals.

The practice was carried out by 27 NHS trusts, with at least 15,500 bodies burned over the last two years alone.

Dispatches found that one of the country’s leading hospitals, Addenbrooke’s in Cambridge, incinerated 797 babies below 13 weeks gestation at their own “waste to energy” plant, telling mothers they would be “cremated”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/thousands-of-unborn-foetuses-incinerated-to-heat-uk-hospitals-9212863.html

Personally I don't have a problem with the act itself, the non surviving foetus is put to the use of the common good. I'm sure however that it was less to do with any commonality than to feed into profitability of an increasingly privatised health service.

I don't buy into the superstitious and sentamental attachment to non living matter. Of course that's just my own view, an I respect those who value such attachment. Such matters should be decided by the organised proletariat rather than done in secret by unelected hospital managers.

Personally, I doubt if the organized proletariat would decide to kill and burn their offspring on an industrial basis. What's going on now really is a Holocaust of the proletariat.  I'm convinced that very powerful people have decided to use abortion and birth control to reduce the size of the proletariat, and thus the danger it presents to the bourgeois régime.

Certainly the organised proletariat are unlikely to do such things while they cling to their current superstitious attachments, but sure where would we be without a little superstition!!

It's a similar dynamic as the immigration debate, do we embrace the current reality of human existence or do we try to change it to match the limitation of existing resources? If we cannot burn a foetus that did not make it past a few weeks of implantation to provide heat for the living, can we at the same time close borders and stop people seeking out a larger share of the world's resources for themselves simply to preserve resources and work conditions for Irish workers?

And the converse is true, if we treat human life itself as something to be managed efficiently, then what becomes of the inefficient?

These are wider philosophical debates that can be deployed on either side of the arguments, but do little to address the underlying issue of the necessity of class struggle. Ultimately the proletariat will have to answer these questions for themselves. When capitalists frame the debate and are the only ones who have the power to impose solutions, it should not surprise us that their answer to this philosophical debate presents as a very ugly reality. But I'm not sure we should rely on that reality to inform ourselves of anything except that we oppose capitalism. The wider philosophical questions will remain long after capitalism is buried. The holocaust is not in the burning of foetuses, it is in the nature of current mode of production and in everything it tuns it's attention to.