Soviet.ie | Sóivéid.ie
Sign in to follow this  
Fodla32

Revolting Images on Cigarette Packets

I bought a pack of cigs today, and I was really shocked to see the image on the packet. A man with all the skin stripped from his neck, and it bulging with pussy viscera. Its probably photoshopped as it doesn't look very real. But, I wonder what kind of sick bástard would inflict these images on the public. The same sickos would probably be the first to complain about images of aborted babies, and claim that showing such images does not stop abortion. In my view, these images will not stop smoking either.

To add insult to injury, above the offensive image is a duty stamp showing that the government got its cut from destroying this man's throat.

Now, Im a person who has a smoke every so often.  On special occasions, I have been known to enjoy a fine Cuban cigar - in keeping with my Communist allegiance. (At least in Communist countries, you can enjoy a smoke in peace.) I will continue to enjoy an occasional smoke - regardless of the scumbags trying to put me in an early grave with their shocking images.

Smoking kills tens of thousands in Ireland every year, and wrecks the health of many more, costing the public purse millions.  And all for the sake of the profit of tobacco companies.  There is some empirical evidence from other countries that the signs do reduce the effect of advertising, and lower usage.  I agree its sickening that the state takes its cut from the misery while telling us not to smoke, but apart from that I'd support almost any measure that got rid of this cancer on society's health!

Your private desire to smoke cannot outweigh the communal benefit to society! ;)

Smoking kills tens of thousands in Ireland every year, and wrecks the health of many more, costing the public purse millions.  And all for the sake of the profit of tobacco companies.  There is some empirical evidence from other countries that the signs do reduce the effect of advertising, and lower usage.  I agree its sickening that the state takes its cut from the misery while telling us not to smoke, but apart from that I'd support almost any measure that got rid of this cancer on society's health!

Your private desire to smoke cannot outweigh the communal benefit to society! ;)

So you would agree that Youth Defense posters showing aborted babies are effective in stopping abortion?

So you would agree that Youth Defense posters showing aborted babies are effective in stopping abortion?

I've seen no empircal evidence of that.  But I imagine they have been effective in putting some people against abortion.  I'm not sure people's objections to the abortion pictures are anything to do with whether they are effective or not.  My own objections to them would be based on the fact that they do not pay the slightest bit of regard to the life of the mother.

I've seen no empircal evidence of that.  But I imagine they have been effective in putting some people against abortion.  I'm not sure people's objections to the abortion pictures are anything to do with whether they are effective or not.  My own objections to them would be based on the fact that they do not pay the slightest bit of regard to the life of the mother.

I'm not in favour of using these type of shock tactics in either case.  Those pics on the cig packets are offensive to me, but they wont stop me smoking.  If I do stop smoking, it won't be because of them. If O'Reilly and co. were interested in peoples health, they would stop supporting the neo-liberal agenda that is taking the substance of life from so many people.  Precarious living causes far more health problems than smoking ever could - of course, they are not unrelated.

Guest Scáthach

I myself enjoy the occasional cigar (mostly smaller cheap ones). I could understand them enforcing a plain, non-flashy packaging law, but I think the pictures are overkill and go too far. To get around this eyesore I  use a small rectangle pouch that just about fits a cardboard cigar packet with the lid cut off in it. Whenever I get a new pack I just slip them into the cardboard enforced pouch (which can be zipped closed) and throw away the packaging.

Tobacco, unlike other drugs, impacts only the users health, it does not impair their behaviour and does not not impact negatively on those around them or the community at large, and so I see no reason to oppose it. My opinion is that if you can't smoke in moderation, don't smoke at all.

I don't quite believe many of the alleged health risks associated with tobacco either.

The prevalence of cigarette smoking among Japanese men has been consistently high compared with Western males over the past 30 years. However, during the same period, the incidence of and mortality rates for lung cancer have consistently been lower in Japan than in Western countries. this is known as the 'Japanese smoking paradox'.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12889681

Its quite clearly possible to make healthier tobacco products by reducing the number carcinogenic ingredients.

Enjoy a box of amber leaf 3 in 1 or JPS when I'm drinking myself (too much during the start of uni at the mo). But I support the pictures. If it stops kids or others smoking then fair dues. Won't stop me but I won't smoke long term anyway.

Stopping is all in the head anyway I reckon. If you really want to do something you can do it!

The one good thing that I take from this kind of action is that it shows that where there is the political will, some sacred cows of liberalism and capitalism can still be taken on.  Restriction on the freedom of speech, to the point that companies are mandated to put these horrible images on their packaging shows that the state can impose its will when it wants.  The market is not simply allowed to rule, but is curtailed (albeit, it could be curtailed much more), to protect the public health, or at least using a public health argument.

The negative side however is that it speaks of a more and more control society, where rather than simply saying "this is bad, we will not permit it", people are guilted and pressureed into making these decisions, and even worse, thinking that they are making decisions by themselves!  At least with good old authoritarianism, you knew you were being told what you couldn't do, and that gave you the freedom to make the choice to do it anyway and face the consequences.  Instead we have a perverted combination of rampant advertising versus shock tactics, what kind of informed decision do people really get to make when their information comes from these two sources?

Guest Connolly

The whole idea is to make it 'uncool' to smoke. After all, thats why people begin smoking isnt it? - to 'follow the crowd', 'be at ease', 'fit in' or 'do what the adults are doing'. And then they become addicted.

I think just as effective would be some embarrassingly uncool images on the packets. Imagine sitting down for a pint thinking your the bees knees with this staring at you:

dog_poo.jpg

martymorrisey.jpg

josef-fritzl-390x285.jpg

Guest Connolly

But I support the general idea. I disagree with Scathach that it dosnt harm anyone else. There are lots of situations where one might breed in the fumes of someone elses smoke. Particularly children, who might not be in a position to think of removing themjselves from the situation. And then you have the costs of healthcare that everone else is picking up the tab for - which I think is the main reason the government is cracking down on them.

Guest Scáthach

But I support the general idea. I disagree with Scathach that it dosnt harm anyone else. There are lots of situations where one might breed in the fumes of someone elses smoke. Particularly children, who might not be in a position to think of removing themjselves from the situation. And then you have the costs of healthcare that everone else is picking up the tab for - which I think is the main reason the government is cracking down on them.

I forgot about the healthcare costs, thats a good point. As for the second hand smoke, that is entirely in the hands of the user and is something that does not have to happen. I was referring to things the user has no control over.

Putting Marty Morrissey's mug on the packets would be hilarious