Soviet.ie | Sóivéid.ie
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scáthach

Regarding Religion

Guest Scáthach

At the age of twelve I decided I would start with a clean ideological slate and study the belief systems of the world to see what I might find in them. Over the following years I studied a number of religions, in particular the three Abrahamic ones. I also studied Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism and Celtic paganism. Out of all of them, Islam stood out to me and so I studied and practiced it for quite some time.

But in my idiocy, I completely overlooked the ancient phliosophies and never took more than a cursory glance over them. I was sidetracked, and thus my search never went as far as I had intended. (Why its taken me this long to realize I don't know)

So, starting from today, I'm suspending all current religious beliefs and starting with a clean slate again to study as many of the ancient philosophies as possible, beginning with Cynicism. I look forward to many hours of migranes, headbanging and gnashing of teeth in the years to come

(Sorry to treat the forum like a blog, but I felt I should put this on record somewhere)

Of course, even most of the ancient philosophies have a particular bias, as such philosophies only tend to be recorded when a civilisation reaches a particular point of development, that includes the ability to record its philosophies in writing.  As civilisation has tended to equate with the rise of feudalism into capitalism, those philosophies which pre-dated that stage of society tend to get overlooked most of all.

All religions or philosophies are a reflection of the society that gave birth to them.  Searching for the ideal religion or philosophy essentially is a search for the ideal societal model, and is much a political as a religious task.  It is also a historical task, as none of these religions/philosophies are capable of fully reflecting life as we know it today.

Rather than suspending your beliefs, you could perhaps examine what forces created those beliefs in the first place, comparing those with the forces that created the philosophies you are opening up to.  But most important, examine what forces apply to you today and consider how you want to interact with them.