Soviet.ie | Sóivéid.ie
Sign in to follow this  
Lugh Ildánach

Dublin Alternative G8, Public Meeting, Pearse Centre

221654_10200604098400495_477890476_n.jpg

Dublin Alternative G8

Dear Comrades and Friends

The 2013 G8 Summit is to be held in Fermanagh, Ireland on 17th-18th June.

As in every year in the recent past, anti-globalisation and anti-capitalist activists will gather to demonstrate against this gathering of the leaders of the most powerful countries.

The British government holds the presidency of G8 in 2013. With the arrogance that only an imperialist power could be capable of, the British government has decided to hold the summit in one of its colonies. The hope is that by holding the summit in Fermanagh in Ireland, that activists will be deterred from organising a counter summit within proximity of global leaders. Last year's summit in Chicago had to move location at the last minute because of the real threat of people power disrupting the summit. Large scale protests have accompanied G8 summits in every location they have been held in, with atlernative summits arranged in nearby population centres.

The Dublin Alternative G8 Committee invites all those who wish to protest against this G8 summit and who can travel to Ireland to come to Dublin. In the days leading up to the protest and over the days of the summit itself, there will be a wide range of events happening across Dublin and indeed around Ireland, showing Irish resistance to the imperialist and capitalist agenda.

As Ireland's capital city, Dublin offers the infrastructure to facilitate the arrival and accommodation of the large numbers of activists expected from Britain, other European countries and from across the world. With the influx of international activists a wide range of protests, seminars and other events will be organised, sharing international perspectives and building important links of solidarity. Together we hope to build an Alternative Summit to show that workers can organise across international boundaries and take on the G8.

Fermanagh is only 2 hours travelling time from Dublin by road. Protests will focus on the summit itself and also on the agenda of austerity which is being waged by the EU and IMF in Ireland, and across Europe. Ireland holds the EU presidency at the time of the G8 summmit, with the headquarters of the presidency based in Dublin Castle, which for centuries beforehand was the seat of colonial power in Ireland but which will in June become the focus for sustained demonstrations.

2013 also marks the centenary of the 1913 Dublin Lockout, one of the most significant industrial actions in European history and out of which arose Ireland's army of the working class, the Irish Citizens Army. As well as organising information events about the lockout, International and Irish workers will organise together to recreate the atmosphere of the Lockout and to let the G8, EU and IMF know that they are not welcome in Ireland.

Dublin Alternative G8 is a non-partisan political project. We invite groups across the political spectrum to organise events as part of the counter summit and will help provide support and co-ordination for events. We welcome assistance from any individuals or groups interested in helping with the organisation or with ideas for creative events. In particular we would ask those who can offer accommodation for visiting activists to contact the committee.

We call on as many international groups and activists as possible to participate in the counter summit, or to send delegates or speakers. For those groups intending to travel to Ireland please contact the committee for details of events planned and for any assistance you may require.

A public meeting for those interested will be organised on Wednesday 13th March at 7.30pm at the Pearse Centre, 27 Pearse Street, Dublin 2.

To contact the committee e-mail dublinalternativeg8@gmail.com or phone 085 2310663

542605_10200534410418339_1435333205_n.jpg

"A very useful meeting last night. Some very heated debate on how the Dublin Counter Summit should proceed, with some very good ideas being brought forward. It was agreed to tie in with events being held in Belfast and Fermanagh, and there was a strong presence of Belfast activists present. Ideas are being considered for a mass demonstration in Dublin during the summit. Invitations will be going out to activists and groups worldwide, and a special committee was established to organize venues and accommodation. The next meeting will be publicized in due course."

Why is a mass demo being organised in Dublin? Would it not be better to do it in Femranagh, at the summit.

Especially since any dublin disruption harms the Freestate government rather that the British one.

There are already protests organised for Fermanagh by the SWP, although they are in the early stages of being organised and I don't think they have been widely publicised yet.

Fermanagh presents a number of problems for a larger gathering of activists. Protesters will be easily isolated and policed, they will get nowhere near the summit, and if protests were confined to the 6 counties, this buys into the idea that Fermanagh is in the UK.

Dublin on the other hand presents much more possibilities to have a mass demonstration that cannot be ignored. The Free State also does not have the immediate support of thousands of extra British police and military personnel that will be drafted into Fermanagh. Protests in Dublin will stretch the resources of the state. It also sends out a strong signal that the G8 and its imperialist agenda is not welcome in Ireland, and highlights the fact that Fermanagh is in Ireland. From a purely practical point of view, Dublin has much more infrastructure to accommodate the number of activists and facilities to run an alternative summit, something that could not easily be done in Fermanagh.

If you look at any of the recent G8 summits, they have all been held outside major population centres, in resort towns etc. The main protests have occured in the nearest major city.

There are already protests organised for Fermanagh by the SWP, although they are in the early stages of being organised and I don't think they have been widely publicised yet.

Fermanagh presents a number of problems for a larger gathering of activists. Protesters will be easily isolated and policed, they will get nowhere near the summit, and if protests were confined to the 6 counties, this buys into the idea that Fermanagh is in the UK.

Dublin on the other hand presents much more possibilities to have a mass demonstration that cannot be ignored. The Free State also does not have the immediate support of thousands of extra British police and military personnel that will be drafted into Fermanagh. Protests in Dublin will stretch the resources of the state. It also sends out a strong signal that the G8 and its imperialist agenda is not welcome in Ireland, and highlights the fact that Fermanagh is in Ireland. From a purely practical point of view, Dublin has much more infrastructure to accommodate the number of activists and facilities to run an alternative summit, something that could not easily be done in Fermanagh.

If you look at any of the recent G8 summits, they have all been held outside major population centres, in resort towns etc. The main protests have occured in the nearest major city.

Fair enough fermanagh might not be ideal for a mass deno but would the next best place not be Belfast? I think that the aims of the protest should be to hit the brit government. That wont happen in dublin.

Fair enough fermanagh might not be ideal for a mass deno but would the next best place not be Belfast? I think that the aims of the protest should be to hit the brit government. That wont happen in dublin.

RSF has organised the Anti-Imperialist Forum in Belfast on June 14th and 15th, and the Dublin events will tie in with that. RSF had one of its members at our last meeting, who made many excellent suggestions. I think its vital to hold events in Dublin, since Dublin is the capital of Ireland and Fermanagh is in Ireland. Otherwide the enemy will present it as a totally "UK" event. By holding events in Belfast and Dublin, we make it clear that we dont accept any partitionism. The more the Dublin and Belfast events can integrate, the stronger the anti-partition and anti-imperialist message we send out. Also, on a purely practical level, there are over a million people in Dublin. Only a few would travel to Belfast, but many could be convinced to attend events and demos in Dublin. The G8 also offers the ideal focus for the commemoration of the 1913 Lockout.

Link to the Belfast Forum:

http://soviet.ie/ind...ist-forum-2013/

RSF has organised the Anti-Imperialist Forum in Belfast on June 14th and 15th, and the Dublin events will tie in with that. RSF had one of its members at our last meeting, who made many excellent suggestions. I think its vital to hold events in Dublin, since Dublin is the capital of Ireland and Fermanagh is in Ireland. Otherwide the enemy will present it as a totally "UK" event. By holding events in Belfast and Dublin, we make it clear that we dont accept any partitionism. The more the Dublin and Belfast events can integrate, the stronger the anti-partition and anti-imperialist message we send out. Also, on a purely practical level, there are over a million people in Dublin. Only a few would travel to Belfast, but many could be convinced to attend events and demos in Dublin. The G8 also offers the ideal focus for the commemoration of the 1913 Lockout.

Link to the Belfast Forum:

http://soviet.ie/ind...ist-forum-2013/

Maybe so. Though I think would rather have one location. Also I would rather do Dublin or fermanagh than go to the RSF one. Not a big fan of theirs and I doubt they will get a large and diverse crowd.

Maybe so. Though I think would rather have one location. Also I would rather do Dublin or fermanagh than go to the RSF one. Not a big fan of theirs and I doubt they will get a large and diverse crowd.

That's why its important to have a wide range of events, so that party politics doesn't come into it and everyone can attend something that they are happy to. There is plenty of scope to have events in different centres, as previous G8s have shown. The one in Evian in France had three of four centres of activity, and crossed international borders (with three of the centres of protest in Switzerland), and gave the authorities a huge headache.

With the RSF one in Belfast and the London anarchist ones both culminating on the Saturday, the activists who want to move on to Dublin will be easily able to do so without dividing numbers. There will be focus on Fermanagh, but realistically the huge numbers won't be able to make it there, and with the SWP at the head the of Fermanagh protest, its clear where the more militant activists will be congregating from Sunay onwards.

Guest Connolly

Summit to look forward to!

Resistance being planned in London, Dublin and Fermanagh as G8 draws nearer

16th March 2013

The powers-that-be must have been so chuffed with themselves when they came up with their cunning game plan for this year’s G8 summit, hosted by the UK government.

By holding it near Enniskillen, in County Fermanagh, in the north of Ireland, they thought they would kill two birds with one stone - shrugging off those pesky protesters expected on the mainland and showing off to the world how they had got the six counties nicely pacified and under control.

But things haven’t exactly gone to plan. First there was the rioting by Union Flag-loving parts of the population, which made many locals wonder if taking on another security headache was the wisest course of action they could have come up with.

Then there were the reported threats to the summit from dissident republican groups who, unlike us unwashed anti-capitalist hordes over here, tend to be armed.

And now there has been a flurry of excitement in the run-up to the summit in which it appears that there will now be three centres of protest across an eight-day period and spanning two different states. Hardly the easy ride the G8 were hoping for!

An Alternative Dublin G8 group is getting organised, indignant that “with the arrogance that only an imperialist power could be capable of, the British government has decided to hold the summit in one of its colonies”.

Protests are also being organised for the remote rural venue on June 17 and 18. But even if you can’t make it across the water, before that there’s a big anti-G8 week of action lined up in London in the run-up to the summit, from June 10 to June 14, around the J11 Carnival Against Capitalism in central London on Tuesday June 11.

Says the Stop G8 network: “The corporations, banks, hedge funds, and billionaires looting our world have names and addresses. They are in the glass towers of the City, and behind unmarked doors in Mayfair and Knightsbridge. London is the money-laundering den of dictators, the playground of the super-rich. But London is our city too. A city of hope, resistance, and struggle.

“Capitalism is killing us. Unemployment, cuts, and the rise of fascism in the “West”. Poverty, colonialism, brutal exploitation in the “Third World”. War and famine for profit. Private prisons, police checks, CCTV to keep us scared and controlled. Life robbed of meaning and beauty, our dreams and our dignity for sale.

“Don’t ignore. Don’t wait. For our friends and loved ones, for our communities, for our planet, for everything they’re trying to take from us. The time is now. Let’s come together, and fight. One common struggle.”

Anyone who wants a piece of the action can get along to the next national planning meeting, being held in London on the weekend of Saturday and Sunday April 6 and 7 (venue tba, see network23.org/stopg8).

Unusually, the meeting on the Saturday is being aimed specifically at people who hate meetings! The call is going out for “artists, musicians, fly-posters, fundraisers, trouble makers, social media geeks, promoters, kitchen crew, rabble rousers and more” to get down there and get ready to do their thang.

http://www.schnews.org.uk/stories/Summit-to-look-forward-to!/

The media attention is building. This was reported in the Guardian and Telegraph too

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/25/terror-bomb-g8-northern-ireland

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/9953228/Republican-terrorists-claim-car-bomb-was-meant-for-G8-summit.html

and I'm sure plenty of other places.

That English piece above hit the nail on the head. Resistance in Ireland is not like resistance in England. I think they really have shot themselves in the foot with trying to host this in Fermanagh. They thought had Ireland pacified, but this is not only showing that that's not the case, but its also presenting a target for the serious left and anti-imperialist sections in Ireland to focus and unite on.

Guest Connolly

The media attention is building. This was reported in the Guardian and Telegraph too

http://www.guardian....orthern-ireland

http://www.telegraph...-G8-summit.html

and I'm sure plenty of other places.

That English piece above hit the nail on the head. Resistance in Ireland is not like resistance in England. I think they really have shot themselves in the foot with trying to host this in Fermanagh. They thought had Ireland pacified, but this is not only showing that that's not the case, but its also presenting a target for the serious left and anti-imperialist sections in Ireland to focus and unite on.

Unfortunately the resistance in Ireland will be, I think, far less than what it would be in England or many other places in the world. Look at the queens visit. If militant republicans couldnt disrupt that then they wont get anywhere near this little fortified island in the middle of nowhere.

The only thing that could at least demonstrate resistance is if a mass of people protest militantly against it, either at the location or in cities. And that is highly unlikely unless swarms of activists come from mainland europe and beyond. I see nothing to indicate that that will be the case.

I wouldnt talk up the resistence for fear of being disappointed.

But you know me

Dark-Clouds.jpeg

Guest Connolly

To some extent I agree with you a chara. The Brits chose Ireland because they think that the GFA has totally exterminated resistance in Ireland.

And are they wrong?

They are mostly right. And it will take a radical change in popular consciousness to change that.

I think Connolly has the right of it. The Brits chose ireland for the summit because if it were anywere else they woukd have faced huge demonstrations and riots.

I hope all republican groups and some left groups can come together and give this the welcome it deserves.

Even if it is only a reasonably small hardcore of activists that take militant action its okay. As long as the world looks and sees that there are people in ireland who will not stand by and let the criminals visit un oposed.

The biggest terrorists in the world should be treated accordingly!