• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Moogie

Moogie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Just to give you all a little follow up on how I got on with my Magnum cider, it tasted pretty good (what little of it I got to taste).  I went on holidays after bottling it and left it in the care of my father.  When I got back the cider fairies had visited and most of it had mysteriously vanished.  I found the flavour to be more like an English cider rather than the Bulmers/Magners that you get here; there was more of a bite to it.  It also seemed to be very strong compared to over the counter stuff.  I drank a litre bottle of it one night and I found myself a bit giddy (and I'm no lightweight).

So now that all of my first batch has been consumed I currently have another bubbling away that should be ready for bottling on Sunday or Monday.  Then next weekend I plan on starting a batch from my own apples.  I don't have a clue how that will turn out or even how much juice I will get from 2 trees.

• curious likes this

#22 Moogie

Moogie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Here's an update regarding the cider from my own apples.  It turns out two trees will make loads and loads.  I used one tray from the salad crisper thingy in the fridge full of apples (maybe 5 kilo) to make 25 litres by diluting it with warm water.  The colour and the flavour seem about right.  However, despite filtering the cider twice before bottling some of the bottles have a lot of sediment in them.  They should be ready for chilling tomorrow or Friday so should I unbottle them and filter again or should I just leave well alone?  They're in plastic, screw top bottles so unbottling wouldn't be a big deal financially but it would be a pain in the arse.

#23 Lugh Ildánach

Lugh Ildánach

Ollamh Sóivéideach

• Administrators
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

I've never made it from my own apples, so i don't know.  It could be that the price you pay for 100% homemade cider is more sediment.  It shouldn't affect the taste of the cider.  I wouldn't bother filtering again if you have already gone to the trouble of bottling.  It could even be that the sediment will give you a nice cloudy effect and make it more appealing!

If you do decide to open the bottles to filter again, you'll either have to bank on there being enough sugar still in the mixture to re-carbonate, or you'll need to re-prime.  Although flatter cider is also perfectly nice!

It could be that some extra time for the cider to settle in your secondary fermenter before you bottle might help reduce the sediment in future.

• Moogie likes this
The struggle against war and its social source, capitalism, presupposes direct, active, unequivocal support to the oppressed colonial peoples in their struggles and wars against imperialism. A 'neutral' position is tantamount to support of imperialism. - Leon Trotsky

#24 Moogie

Moogie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'll be drinking some of this stuff over the weekend so if it's ok I will start another batch straight away.  I reckon I have enough apples to see me through Winter.