Soviet.ie | Sóivéid.ie
Sign in to follow this  
Fodla32

Gilmore Attacked by Protestors

Eggs were thrown and his car was spat on and kicked by a group of activists outside a Unicef Ireland engagement in Ballyfermot, west Dublin.

Mr Gilmore was with Children's Minister Frances Fitzgerald and had been due to launch the charity's support for the children's referendum campaign.

A spokeswoman for the Tanaiste said the Cabinet colleagues abandoned the event because of concerns for the safety of local schoolchildren at the launch.

The protests were led by members of the left-wing republican group Eirigi and People Before Profit.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/tanaistes-car-attacked-protest-114135682.html

éirígí will lose more respect than Labour from this. What are eggs going to do? This is just confirming the widely accepted belief that éirígí are just a bunch of "pikeys".

A chara, please don't use the word 'pikey' again! No matter what context that word is used in, it is discriminatory and racist, and has no place on this forum and elsewhere!

A chara, please don't use the word 'pikey' again! No matter what context that word is used in, it is discriminatory and racist, and has no place on this forum and elsewhere!

But that is the general view of the population in relation to éirígí members unfortunately.

If I was discussing the view of the KKK in relation to black civil rights activists I would have no issue with saying that they call black people "niggers". I would never use that word but considering that is what KKK members call black people, it is understandable that I use the word in that context. The same goes for when I said "you know what".

But that is the general view of the population in relation to éirígí members unfortunately.

If I was discussing the view of the KKK in relation to black civil rights activists I would have no issue with saying that they call black people "niggers". I would never use that word but considering that is what KKK members call black people, it is understandable that I use the word in that context. The same goes for when I said "you know what".

Nobody was talking about racism on the thread, it was yourself who first introduced the term, completely out of context, in my opinion. We're not overly PC on this site, but I don't see why you thought you needed to use the term.

But the subject here isn't the racist attitudes of anyone, it is the action of eirigi and swp against Gilmore. I'm not sure exactly what your point is? Perhaps those with a bourgeois mentality will view eirigi and swp as being crass, almost violent, because of this action, but I can guarantee you that the general sentiment expressed at this demonstration is a pretty accurate reflection of how the people of Ballyfermot feel contempt towards the system that screws them over every day.

Actually, frithbheart's comment is probably more accurate. Most people in Ballyfermot probably wouldn't waste eggs on these fuckers, and could easily be encouraged to throw a lot harder and more flamable objects at them. While I think eirigi could give much more leadership to the people than they are currently doing, the message from this protest was clear, and it was welcome, that bourgeois politicians are not welcome in working class areas. Of course the bourgeois media reported this as an attack on an event promoting children's rights. The protest was against the impending cuts in child benefits. Funnily enough there's nothing in the bourgeois Constitutional amendment that prevents the system from attacking children economically.

I'm not a fan of either the SWP or Eirigi, but fair play to them for organising this, particularly given the absence of other groups doing something similar. Given the amont of violence that the system perpetuates on working class people, government ministers should genuinely be scared to face the people, and I'm not talking in the electoral sense.

Thats a joke I assume?

Not at all

Eirigi are the joke

Attempting to turn republican revolutionarism into a cartoon for the benefit of the freestate media.

They can go and Sh* te, they have nothing of substance to offer the republican/communist movement

Not at all

Eirigi are the joke

Attempting to turn republican revolutionarism into a cartoon for the benefit of the freestate media.

They can go and Sh* te, they have nothing of substance to offer the republican/communist movement

I personnaly don't support them and have issues with them, but in this case I think it was a fair enough move. At least they were doing something.

And as always I will say that most people do nothing at all and that includes the many who critisize.

Obviously I don't know you so I apologise in advance if you area genuine activist and are involed in politics, but I would rather see people trying and failing than not trying at all i.e. sitting on a computer or at the bar critisizing.