Soviet.ie | Sóivéid.ie
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Connolly

Learning Tin Whistle, need help.

Here's sheet music for a few tunes from that whistling priest. I am just about getting the hang of the notes, well getting there anyway. What are the dots and the kinda handle things off the side of some of the notes? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_29r2448LnXQ/R0RcmOW2siI/AAAAAAAAAG4/8xU-8syc2_c/s1600-h/Marches01.gif

Guest Connolly

Checked out the price of a Tony Dixon whistle on Wednesday. 24.99 in a music shop on Georges street. Not waltons as they didnt have TD whistles but another one.

http://www.martindardis.com/irish_national_anthem_lyrics_chords.html

Amhran na bhFiann

D’ E’ F’ D’ A | A B B G B A B A

D’ C B | C D’ E’ F’ E’ B C

D’ E’ F’ D’ A | A B B G B A B A

B C C C C C B A A

A G F G E F G A B A

D’ C B C B A G E

A F D F A | A B C D’ E’ F’

D’ B A D’ F’ E’ D’ D’

Particularly Apt for this Saturday

http://unitedireland.tripod.com/id780.html

The Wearing Of The Green abc notes

D E F# F# F# F# F# A A F# F# E E E E

A B G D' B B A F# D E D D D D

D E F# F# F# F# F# A A F# F# E E E E

A B G D' B B A F# D E D D D D

D' C# B B A F# A A D E F# E F# G F#

D' C# B B A F# A D F# E D C# D E

D E F# F# F# F# F# A F# F# E E E E

A A B G D' B B A F# D E D D D D

Roddy McCorley - South South

http://www.martindardis.com/id647.html

G A B AB D G A B A G

D E G G A G

BC D' D' D' BD' E' E' D'

B G E C B A

B C D' D' D' B D' E' E' D'

B G E C B A

G A B AB D G A B A G

D D E G G A G

The C's on this are C naturals (second and third holes covered, but first one left uncovered)

sean_south.gif

Guest Connolly

Finding it difficult to follow those tunes. How do I know whether they are a continuous blow or a separate blow for each note?

Finding it difficult to follow those tunes. How do I know whether they are a continuous blow or a separate blow for each note?

They are all separate notes, although the format above doesn't give any clue to the length of the notes. If you know the tunes already that's not a problem, otherwise click on the link and the sheet music is included and also for some of them the holes that you should cover. I kinda use a combination of the three to learn, following the hole guide until my fingers get used to the movements, the sheet music to figure out the timing and then using the ABC notes as a reminder when practising.

O Christmas Tree (music that The Red Flag is usually sung to)

http://www.christmas.seomraranga.com/music/o_christmas_tree.doc

D G G G | A B B B

B A B Cnat F A GG

D G G G | A B B B

B A B Cnat F A GG

D’ D’ B E’ D’ D’ Cnat Cnat

Cnat Cnat A D’ Cnat Cnat B B

D G G G | A B B B

B A B Cnat F A GG

Guest Connolly

I got a dixon whistle over the christmas for 16E in waltons, and a tin whistle tune book. Has about 100 tunes in it but most are the music notes that I cant read.

The book hasnt been useful so far and I think it will take a while to get the hang of it. There is also a noticible difference between the old whistle and the new one.

I got a dixon whistle over the christmas for 16E in waltons, and a tin whistle tune book. Has about 100 tunes in it but most are the music notes that I cant read.

The book hasnt been useful so far and I think it will take a while to get the hang of it. There is also a noticible difference between the old whistle and the new one.

Did you get a CD with it?

Its nearly impossible to learn a new tune without been able to properly read music, and even harder if you don't know how the melody goes.

What's the name of the book? I think I have a couple of CD's here in the house I will lend you, or if you can get a couple of blank Cd's I will burn a few copies for you and Lugh.

Also, every whistle produces different sounds, its best to stick to what you are comfortable with, especially when just starting off.

I used to jump from whistle to whistle when i was starting out, and sometimes it can be a bit off-putting when trying to compare each whistle in the same key.

Its only when you progress, that you will notice the subtle differences and be able to distinguish between a mass produced whistle and one that is made of good quality.

Guest Connolly

No I got no CD with it. Its called 'Irelands Best Tin Whistle Tunes with guitar chords volume 1".

It mentions in the book to get the 'companion CD' but there was none with it maybe its supposed to be bought seperate.

The first tune in i6 is Fáinne Gael an Lae, pretty much the only one I can do without as you say the CD.

I think the 3 of us, and anyone else who might be interested, should organise a sit down together, and have a bit of a seisiún!

For years, I was playing an feadóg stáin, and at one time, I thought that I had peaked, and reached an impasse to my learning abilities, but it was only by an off-chance that I started playing with a group of balladeers and musicians, in my local pub, and only then did I relise, that by playing in front of a live audience, it gave me an edge, and spurned me on towards learning more, and reaching a level that I never thought existed!

I have still yet to reach such a level that I will be happy with, and I probably will feel this way until the day i die, because you learn something new everyday! But the journey getting there is somewhat of an experience!

Guest Connolly

Oh yeah a session would be great nico we shoudl do that sometime!

But with my repetoire of 1 tune and two half tunes I think id be doing the same tune all night lol

Guest IsMise

Im attaching an image which might help you guys.

It shows the basic d scale what the dot on the line is in A B C etc and what holes to cover to make that note.

As you can see the low D is first - it appears just below the bottom of the 5 lines and is blown softly into the whistle {even if there are attachments or whats know as quavers where 2 notes like D & E are played in a quick tempo beside each other the notes are still the same} so this will help you make the right notes for the songs and as you hear them you will them be able to know whether to play them faster or slower. Most trad tunes will be set up in D but if you use this example to write out any tune you will get the notes right.

The dark holes are the ones you cover and the blank circles are left uncovered.

Note C is played with only the top whole uncovered and to achieve the higher D E F blow stringer into the whistle usually a higher D is written as D' {like an apostrophe}

post-5-0-43987900-1357812248_thumb.jpg

kerry Polka for example is

FABA FABA DEFEDBA

FABA FABA DEFEDD

F'A'F' EEDBA DEFEDBA

F'A'F' EEDBA DEFEDD

Guest IsMise

The jpeg doesnt seem to be attaching - if you guys tell me how to do that I will attach the image in the morning for ye :-) sorry about this

Guest IsMise

Thanks Lugh, copy and paste just doesnt seem to work, I had tried that but I used full editor to attach it in the original post and here also :-)

As you will see it ain't pretty lol but perhaps useful.

post-5-0-84826700-1357812418_thumb.jpg