Soviet.ie | Sóivéid.ie
Sign in to follow this  
nico

DIY Wind Turbine course at Rossport Solidarity Camp

Free renewable energy, excellent! I wonder if the council would let us put one on top of our block, I'm guessing we would need planning permission? Has anybody ever tried anything like this in a council estate?

WindTurbineCourse_RSC.jpg

Even if a planning application was made, I doubt it could be got, mainly because its a make shift thing. I know I've seen the pre-assembled small ones on people's roofs around Finglas/Glasnevin/Ballymun. Some people even sell back what they don't use to the grid, if this could be done, it'd be a good way of raising some funds for the CDC.

Guest Connolly

The smaller the turbine the more inefficient they become. So to generate any decent sort of electricity to power anything you would require a larger turbine. Power can be stored in the likes of car batteries. But I couldnt really see much use from one tbh, not where we are working.

Maybe as a renewable demonstrator it could be used.

I made a "parabolic solar concentrator" a number of years ago out of an old bookies satelite dish ( at least 1.6m wide). Nearly burned the shed I had down with it. It could boil a pot of water quicker than an electric kettle.

It wouldnt have been far off the size of this:

2Mdish-front-jordyn.jpg

Chaep and very easy to make as a demonstrator.

I didnt make much use of my one but in hindsight something more imaginative could have been placed in the centre than a pot of water. Industrial ones run turbines from the centre to generate electricity...

SolarDish.JPG