Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Connolly

Ever Wonder Why Ireland Doesn’t Boast More Craft/Artisan Beers?

13 posts in this topic

Thought this would be of interest here. (from Broadsheet)

Ever Wonder Why Ireland Doesn’t Boast More Craft/Artisan Beers?

diageo-v-brewdog.jpg

This story may help.

Independent beer maker BrewDog were expecting to do well at Scotland’s BII awards (for the licenced trade) at the weekend, sponsored by Diageo.

James from Brewdog writes:

However we were not announced as winners of the award. This disappointment was further compounded when one of the judges (seated at our table) told us in disbelief ‘this simply cannot be, the independent judging panel voted for BrewDog as clear winners of the award’.

Events took a further twist when the people who got given the award refused to accept it as it clearly had ‘BrewDog’ engraved on the trophy as winners.

On Tuesday, 2 days after the award, I (James) took a phone call from Kenny Mitchell, Chairman of the BII in Scotland and Chairman of the Award Committee explaining the situation. To directly quote Kenny:

‘We are all ashamed and embarrassed about what happened. The awards have to be an independent process and BrewDog were the clear winner’

‘Diageo (the main sponsor) approached us at the start of the meal and said under no circumstances could the award be given to BrewDog. They said if this happened they would pull their sponsorship from all future BII events and their representatives would not present any of the awards on the evening.’

We were as gobsmacked as you by Diageo’s behaviour. We made the wrong decision under extreme pressure. We were blackmailed and bullied by Diageo. We should have stuck to our guns and gave the award to BrewDog.‘

Diageo Screws BrewDog (BrewDog)

Thanks Bibi Baskin Robbins

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/05/09/ever-wonder-why-ireland-doesn%e2%80%99t-boast-more-craftartisan-beers/#comments

Shameful. Ireland was a country that also had hundreds, if not thousands, of local distillaries. Now, there are only two. This is how capitalism is shutting down the people's creativity.

Connolly16 and nico like this

Craft beers are definitely making some progress in their war against the multi-nationals like Diageo. Although of course as soon as a brewry or distillery makes decent success, the multi-nationals swoop in and remove the competition by buying them up.

I saw there a few months ago that the Cooley Distillery in Louth that was making good progress in the US whiskey market was bought up recently. The Carlow Brewing Company is one of the latest micro-breweries to flourish, they do that Curim and O'Haras, apparently run by a couple of gombeen men down in Muine Bheag, Co. Carlow, and who I'm sure will gladly sell up to Diageo when the time comes.

Decomodified brewing and distilling, in the hands of local Soviets is the only way forward!!!! :hammersickle: :hammersickle: :hammersickle:

Fodla32, nico and Yodler like this

an absolutely rotten state of affairs is it any wonder the price of a pint in East Tyrone is 3.20 str.

Just think, you could have better quality beer tailored to your own personal tastes for 50 cent for a large bottle, and also be denying the Brit taxman his revenue at the same time.  Who said being a revolutionary was hard work :hammersickle:

Yodler and Fodla32 like this

Just think, you could have better quality beer tailored to your own personal tastes for 50 cent for a large bottle, and also be denying the Brit taxman his revenue at the same time.  Who said being a revolutionary was hard work :hammersickle:

You have won me over gonna get that Coopers micro kit to start off with.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Brew_Irish_Stout_Starter_kit.html?gclid=CKvkxpSl6bcCFeXItAodAhAAmw#.Ub4PJfmUQdo

Lugh Ildánach, Fodla32 and nico like this

You won't look back a chara.  If you need any advice or tips, just let us know, and we look forward to being able to exchange some decommodified beer in the future.

Sound A Chara, found this crazy Canadian to keep me right lol http://www.youtube.com/user/CraigTube

Like the idea of a load of home brewers getting together some place to trade beer, no money just straight swaps. 

Lugh Ildánach likes this

Sound A Chara, found this crazy Canadian to keep me right lol http://www.youtube.com/user/CraigTube

Like the idea of a load of home brewers getting together some place to trade beer, no money just straight swaps. 

Decommodified exchange where the producer remains in control and is not alienated from his labour!  Revolution through beer!

Yodler likes this

I have just ordered a cider making kit.  It will be a couple of months before my own apples are ready for pressing so that gives me time to make up a test batch using the forumla first.  I'll let you know how I'm getting on.  Some exclusive few of you may even get to sample an offering from Chateau Moogie.

Lugh Ildánach and Fodla32 like this

I have just ordered a cider making kit.  It will be a couple of months before my own apples are ready for pressing so that gives me time to make up a test batch using the forumla first.  I'll let you know how I'm getting on.  Some exclusive few of you may even get to sample an offering from Chateau Moogie.

What kit did you order?  The Finlandia Apple & Pear Cider is very popular, general feedback from nearly all who have tried it is that its nicer than anything you would get in the pub or off license.

Fair play for going the full way and using your own apples.  That's real decommodification, or at least would be if you could start growing your own yeast and sugar!

Fodla32 likes this

What kit did you order?  The Finlandia Apple & Pear Cider is very popular, general feedback from nearly all who have tried it is that its nicer than anything you would get in the pub or off license.

Fair play for going the full way and using your own apples.  That's real decommodification, or at least would be if you could start growing your own yeast and sugar!

I just got the basic Magnum one from the home brew shop.  With a cheap masher bucket thing and delivery it came in at £100.  I reckon I'll have time to get one batch made using the kit before my own apples ripen.  My parents have a couple of apple trees in their garden and they always have buckets upon buckets of them that go uneaten every year.

Anyone know where I could get some bottle labels for a laser printer?

Fodla32 likes this